NHS Continuing Healthcare
NHS Continuing Healthcare is a package of continuing care provided over an extended period of time, to a person aged 18 years or over, to meet significant and complex physical or mental health needs that have arisen as a result of disability, accident or illness.
It is arranged, provided and funded solely by the NHS and is free for those who are eligible, unlike help from social services for which a charge may be incurred depending on income and savings.
Care arranged as part of NHS continuing healthcare can be provided in a variety of different settings including; care homes, hospices or an individual's home.
Who can access the service?
- Adults who are registered with a Berkshire GP
- Other health and care professionals, families and voluntary agencies
- Health and social care colleagues from both primary (GP surgeries) and secondary (hospital) care
Who is eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare funding?
Eligibility is determined by a detailed assessment which looks at all of aspects of care needs:
- Nature: the individual's needs and the interventions required to meet those needs
- Complexity: the level of skill/knowledge required to address an individual need or the range of needs and the interface between two or more needs
- Intensity: one or more health needs, so severe they require regular intervention
- Unpredictability: unexpected changes in condition that are difficult to manage and present a risk to you or to others.
For adults who are registered with a Berkshire GP the Continuing Care Service offers:
- Advice on the National Framework for Continuing Healthcare (CHC) and Funded Nursing Care (FNC) to the general public and professionals
- Advice on eligibility for NHS funded care
- A comprehensive assessment of health needs by an NHS Professional following referral with an NHS Checklist completed by an approved professional in hospital or the community
Individuals, relatives, carers and representatives can contact the NHS Continuing Healthcare Team on 0118 982 2900 or via BWCCG.CHCDuty@nhs.net for further information on how to request an assessment of eligibility.
More information is available on the NHS website here.